tiistai 8. toukokuuta 2007

Favourite 25 hip hop albums of all time

Some time ago Straight Bangin' challenged bloggers to list their top 25 favourite albums OR the best 25 albums of all time depending on how you want to look at lists like these. Well, it seems the ballots have closed and I missed out on creating history by procrastinating, but I want to post my personal list anyway since I took some time crafting it.



These are my 25 most favourite hip hop albums. I had to ponder upon the criteria I wanted to use and decided upon a few factors: how much did I listen to the album when I first started listening to it; how good does the album still sound; has the album lost relevance. That's basically it.

The top 10 was an easy choice and the order fell into its place on its own weight. I'm pretty comfortable with it now, but tomorrow the order might go through some changes. No big deal. The final 15 wasn't as easy, though. I had to leave many great albums off the list (Death Certificate, Word...Life, Liquid Swords...), which really should be there.



1) Nas: Illmatic
2) The Notorious B.I.G.: Ready To Die
3) Mobb Deep: The Infamous
4) Wu-Tang Clan: Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
5) Jay-Z: Reasonable Doubt
6) Snoop Dogg: Doggystyle
7) Dr. Dre: The Chronic
8) Outkast: ATLiens
9) Black Sheep: A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing
10) The Notorious B.I.G.: Life After Death
11) De La Soul: De La Soul Is Dead
12) Raekwon: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
13) Souls Of Mischief: 93 'Til Infinity
14) Gang Starr: Daily Operation
15) Jay-Z: The Blueprint
16) Masta Ace: Disposable Arts
17) Kurious: A Constipated Monkey
18) Main Source: Breaking Atoms
19) 2Pac: Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.
20) Jeru the Damaja: Sun Rises In The East
21) Cypress Hill: Black Sunday
22) Blackalicious: Nia
23) J-Live: The Best Part
24) Organized Konfusion: Organized Konfusion
25) DJ Shadow: Endtroducing

I think the list speaks for itself mostly, but I do agree that there are some, hmm, exotic choices. Feel free to argue.

2 kommenttia:

Renato Pagnani kirjoitti...

Our top 8 are essentially identical, my friend! The order isn't exact, but the albums are, more or less.

Great minds think alike!

http://until-the-train-stops.blogspot.com/2007/04/my-25-favourite-hip-hop-albums-of-all.html

Scholar kirjoitti...

Excellent choices. I honestly can't remember what my final list looked like, but we have quite a few in common.

Glad to see that you had Reasonable Doubt up there pretty high on the list. I thought it would rate higher in the overall results than 15th, but I think people went kinda hard on Jay because the wounds from Kingdom Come are still fresh.

Nice blog, BTW. Peace.